Venus vows to bounce back


Former world number one goes vegetarian to fight autoimmune disease; dreams to get top spot in rankings
BY ARMSTRONG VAS
DOHA:  Former world number one Venus Williams has gone vegetarian as she bids for wins in 2012 season.
The 31-year-old also said she has no immediate plans of retiring from the sport that has made her a household name in the world of tennis.
The seven-time Grand Slam champion has changed her diet as she bids to ward off the autoimmune disease called Sjogren’s Syndromem a condition that causes fatigue and joint pain.
The older of Williams’s sister was forced to pull out of her scheduled second-round match against rising German Sabine Lisicki at this year’s US Open on account of the autoimmune disease.
“I changed my diet completely, so lots of vegetables. I am confident of lasting the full schedule, I am working to get back to shape. I am not stranger to sacrifice. The last few months have been hard on my health, but I have made drastic changes in my life style, I have seen a lot of doctors, and it has a been a lot of learning and a new life (lifestyle) and adjusting to the new life. I have done different therapies. I had to change my diet,” said Venus during a programme conducted on the sidelines of the Aspire4Sports Sports Congress and Exhibition at Aspire Dome yesterday.
“I had have made many sacrifices to learn something new (changing to vegetarian food), it is tough, in a way, but it is a new adventure and it is the first time I entered the kitchen to prepare my food, a place I never used to frequent earlier,” disclosed Venus.
“I (altered) my mind frame completely because I was the person who always ate their steak first and their salad second,” she added.
Last year Venus finished at No. 103 in the world, this after opening the year at No. 5. The five-time Wimbledon winner hasn’t appeared in a major final outside of Wimbledon since the 2003 Australian Open.
The senior Williams featured in a mere four events and 11 matches this year (8-3) and hasn’t reached a major final since capturing her fifth Wimbledon title in 2009.  She was, however, optimistic that the wholesale changes in her lifestyle will help her last a distance in the upcoming season and motivate her to live her dream.
“I love the game. The racket feels right in my hand and I’m planning on going right back to where I was at the top of the rankings in the singles and doubles sometime within the next 12 months. I wish to play as long as I can and to the best of my ability.”
Speaking on the sibling rivalry and the health worries of her elder sister she said: “Her achievements over the last years have been monumental and even with health issues she’s been able to continue to be great, right now I think she’s one of the best players in the world.”
Venus, who is studying business and also managing her business interests, which include a fashion label and an interior design company, said she is enjoying her single status.
“It’s so much fun being single, at some point I’ll be mature, but it just hasn’t happened yet. I’m shocked at myself by my inability to settle down and to commit to anything besides tennis and work.”
Venus, who won one event here, rates Doha as one of her favourite venues but she says she does not read anything written about her in the newspapers.
“I don’t read any press. I only see the pictures. It is not possible to read everything. I do not read what others say about me – the ups and downs- I stay away.”
Venus also disclosed that she watches a lot of television during her spare time.
“I put it (TV) on mute when something featuring me is showed on the screen” she said.
And she is getting use to twitter while younger sister Serena is more into tweeting.
“She (Serena) tweets all the time,” she  said. Regarding the status of the film on the famous tennis sisters which was planned earlier, Venus said: “We are considering adding a few chapters, enter twists and high drama,” she added.
The Peninsula

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PLASTIC

Godrej Nature's Basket: when evolution is done wrong

Home for the Aged at Nagao Verna to be renovated